Monday, March 23, 2009

I don’t even know where to start. So much has happened in the last week and I don’t think I will be able to write all about it tonight but hopefully I will be able to make another post tomorrow. I will start at the beginning, before I left I was really worried and nervous but we had a great lunch with all the families at Olive Garden and my stomach settled down. We had no problems with any of our flights and were either on time or early. There were very long plane rides though and I had some problems with my ears. We got to our host families house late Monday night and sleep well. It was great to sleep lying down instead of sitting up. My roommate Kate and I live with an awesome family who have 3 young children. Tuesday we went to all the schools, I have at a primary school called A. F. Louw, it is very poor. They do not have a lot of materials to work with and I am so thankful that I scanned some books and audio books and emailed them to myself because they do have access to a computer and it is perfect. I have 30 students in my Grade R or kindergarten class. It is not a requirement for them to attend Grade R so it is run much like a preschool program. I have hard time getting the students to listen to me as it is part of their culture to not listen to women. One student told me to “fok off” which means the same thing no matter where you go. One student also told me he did not have to listen to me because I was a woman. The students in my class speak a total of 9 different languages and many are doing know any English s it has been a challenge. The teachers here work in a British style system and students are accepted to sit down and be quit when it is not in their culture to be quit or to whisper. My teachers and many other have no control over their class and do not have any concept of classroom management. That is all I will write for tonight but I will try to get on and write more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment