Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Today was very interesting. I have totally lost my voice and had to go to the pharmacy yesterday. In South Africa pharmacist are more like doctors and they are able to give out prescriptions. I got some stuff that seems to really be helping. I because I had no voice I was unable to teach today which worked out because my students were going on a field trip to the local museum so I stayed behind with 4 students who could not go. I only had them until about 10:30 and than the classes, all came back. During the time it was just the 4 students I was able to take them down to the computer lab and they listened to books I had sent to myself. When there normal teacher was in the room I was able to go and observe some of the physical education classes. I got to precipitate in my first cricket game and it is much like baseball only they have one base and you hit the ball until you miss for one turn. My host bother is very into the game so he is going to teach me more tonight. I am a little bummed out that I am sick because I will not be able to go surfing until after holiday now. Holiday will be for the next two weeks. We get to tour the country and I have very excited about seeing everything. I found out some interesting customs they have here in regards to Christmas. Upsides down Christmas trees are very popular. They are just what they sound like a Christmas tree hung upside down from the ceiling, White, a guy living in our host family's flat told Kate and I able that last week. They also tell the children that St. Nicolas is a man who goes around in kills children at night, much different from the kind hearted St. Nic we know and love. I am loving ever minute I spend here I will post pictures I have taken soon; however they will not do it justice. Everyday when I walk to school there are mountains all around me. Everything is also green here, which is a nice change from Michigan landscape. Life is very simple here as well. While our host family is upper class, they do not have the "stuff" many Americans have around their houses. I am learning more each day how lucky I am to be so blessed.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are having an interesting time. Are the students starting to listen to you more? I imagine you must need a lot of patience for that. Hope all is well -Amanda Flynn

    ReplyDelete